Subscribers! Add a note to this movie and/or put it into one of your private movie lists.
When famed photographer Christina Eames unexpectedly dies, she leaves her estranged daughter Mae Morton hurt, angry and full of questions. When a photograph tucked away in a safe-deposit box is found, Mae finds herself on a journey delving into her mother's early life and ignites a powerful, unexpected romance with a rising-star journalist, Michael Block.
Drama Romantic - While featuring a couple of younger rising stars, Issa Rae and LaKeith Stanfield, in the leads, this fairly subdued, slow, and talky romantic drama will hold most appeal to older audiences. Other familiar faces such as Lil Rel Howery and Courtney B. Vance only have smaller supporting roles. Fans of Issa Rae will enjoy her change of pace dramatic role. Mature subject matter, brief language, and some sensuality make the film not for kids.
Roger EbertFull Review Good There are some rough notes in the film, but barring those, "The Photograph" is an enjoyable enough love story, and sweet enough to indulge in during a holiday dedicated to candy hearts. The script, which was also written by Meghie, is fairly predictable by genre standards yet still intriguing enough to watch as the two stories fall into place.
NY PostFull Review Average Watching "The Photograph" is like looking through a friend's old photo album — it's not as exciting as your friend thinks it is. Neither the buildup of the relationship nor its timeline made a lick of sense to me.
Rolling StoneFull Review Average Still, if you can cut through the tangled weeds of this overcomplicated script, there are Stanfield and Rae to let you revel in a true romance that jumps the hurdles of tearjerking to arrive at something touchingly real.
Slant MagazineFull Review Above Average When The Photograph lingers on the euphoria and tribulations of Mae and Michael's love affair, it's rich in carefully observed details, but the gratuitous flourishes in its narrative structure gives it the unsavory pomposity of a Nicholas Sparks novel.
Note: The rating
above is our interpretation of what the critic would give this movie based on
their review. We are not affiliated with these critic's in any way.
OPINION OVERVIEW The following is the original "What's Worth
Watching" write-up for this movie.
Based on a theater exit polling of 26 moviegoers:
TEENS: The one male and one female only rated it "Good/Average," which is OK but certainly not great.
TWENTYSOMETHINGS: One male loved it, one enjoyed it very much and one felt it was just "Good/Average," (enjoyable but nothing special or memorable). As for the ladies, just one loved "The Photograph," with the remaining two rating it "Good/Average."
ADULTS: These are certainly not great reviews from either the males or females. Not quite 30% indicated that they either loved "The Photograph," or enjoyed it very much. The remaining 70%+ mostly rated it just "Good/Average" (enjoyable but nothing special or memorable). About 10% of females and 15% of males actually indicated that they hated this movie, which is extremely rare and, obviously, not good.