Subscribers! Add a note to this movie and/or put it into one of your private movie lists.
MIDWAY centers on the Battle of Midway, a clash between the American fleet and the Imperial Japanese Navy which marked a pivotal turning point in the Pacific Theater during WWII. The film, based on the real-life events of this heroic feat, tells the story of the leaders and soldiers who used their instincts, fortitude and bravery to overcome the odds.
Action Drama - This is a fact based WWII drama with a
large ensemble cast. Ed Skrein plays the
focal role, with more familiar names such
as Dennis Quaid, Woody Harrelson, Luke
Evans, Patrick Wilson, Mandy
Moore, and Nick Jonas in much smaller
roles. Some language and intense war
combat make this not for kids, but the
historical subject matter may make this
acceptable for parents of pre-teens.
Patrick Wilson ANNABELLE COMES HOME, THE COMMUTER Luke Evans ANNA, MA, PROFESSOR MARSTON AND THE WONDER WOMEN Dennis Quaid A DOG'S JOURNEY, THE INTRUDER, KIN Mandy Moore THE DARKEST MINDS, 47 METERS DOWN, TANGLED Woody Harrelson ZOMBIELAND DOUBLE TAP, VENOM Director: Roland Emmerich INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE
PROFANITY: 1 F-word; 7 S-words; 6 GD's; many others. SEX/NUDITY: None. VIOLENCE: Shootings and glimpses of bleeding wounds and bodies. DRUGS/ALCOHOL: Alcohol and very frequent tobacco. ACTION: Lots of war combat, explosions, crashes, destruction. COMEDY: None.
Roger EbertFull Review Average The overabundance of CGI is one of the bigger problems with "Midway” because, far too often, it feels like you're watching a video game or an F/X highlight reel. ...the combined effect of a dull script and repetitive battle sequences lulled me into a state of boredom, so much so that at times I had my eyes open yet my consciousness had drifted elsewhere.
Rolling StoneFull Review Below Average A star-studded cast does their best with cartoonish characterization in what should be an epic war movie. ...his film is a hollow shell stuffed with marshmallow. ...in sacrificing a reckoning on the human toll of war for cardboard characterization and showoff fx, he's left an empty space where the soul of the film should be.
Slant MagazineFull Review Average The script never invests us in any of these characters, failing to establish real narrative stakes for any of them. The plot is really little more than perfunctory filler between the battle sequences... Though most of the film's character...are based on real-life historical personages, Wes Tooke's leaden screenplay renders them all as little more than stock war-movie types.
The GuardianFull Review Below Average Roland Emmerich's version of the second world war Pacific battle is a drearily earnest monument to CGI mayhem. Never in the history of war movies have so few thrills been delivered by so much mayhem and destruction.
Note: The rating
above is our interpretation of what the critic would give this movie based on
their review. We are not affiliated with these critic's in any way.
OPINION OVERVIEW The following is the original "What's Worth
Watching" write-up for this movie.
Based on a theater exit polling of 95 moviegoers:
I love moviegoer reviews like this where the professional movie critics all rate a movie poorly, but moviegoers really enjoy the movie. These aren't just great reviews, they're FANTASTIC REVIEWS! Nearly 80% of both males and females LOVED "MIDWAY." And most of the remaining 20% indicated that they enjoyed it very much. I don't understand how movie critics can get it so wrong.